What is LTI?
LTI is an abbreviation for Learning Tools Interoperability, which is a standard protocol developed by the IMS Global Learning Consortium. It allows services like VoiceThread to integrate with your Desire2Learn environment as single-sign-on tools.
The resulting experience for instructors and students is simple:
- Sign in to your D2L account.
- Navigate to your course.
- Click on the VoiceThread LTI link.
- Use VoiceThread.
Clicking on a VoiceThread LTI link will authenticate the user, establish an account for him if he didn’t have one already, and enroll him in his course within VoiceThread. No additional work is required from the instructor or student.
LTI Tool Configuration
Before instructors can use VoiceThread, it must be configured globally for your Desire2Learn instance by an administrator.
- Navigate to Admin Tools -> External Learning Tools -> Manage Tool Providers.
- Click “New Tool Provider”.
- Enter your Launch Point: https://yourdomain.voicethread.com/ltione/.
- Enter your Key and Secret (provided by VoiceThread).
- Under Security Settings, we recommend checking all boxes.
- To ensure that all courses can access this configuration:
- Click on “Add Org Units”.
- Search for your institution’s name.
- Select “All descendants of type: Course Offering”.
Error message: “The authentication failed; the signature on your request did not match the expected value” or “Unsupported Signature Method”
Check to make sure the Shared Secret is entered correctly.
If the Shared Secret is accurate, please make sure the clock on your D2L server is accurate.
Error message: “Could not find Org for this launch.”
Verify that the Consumer Key is entered correctly.
Error message: “Oh, buttons! We are unable to find [path]”
Make sure the URL is entered correctly.
Instructors can’t see student submission for grading
The student likely did not click the “Submit Assignment” button after completing his work. The student can simply go back into the assignment and click “Submit Assignment” at a later time. He will not need to re-do his work.
Multiple VoiceThread assignments are being recorded in the same gradebook column
Desire2Learn currently only supports one LTI-integrated assignment at a time in a single course. Representatives from D2L are looking into this so that it can be corrected.
You’re not automatically signed in to VoiceThread when you click on a VT link
Make sure your web browser accepts third-party cookies.
When you click on a VT link, you see a page titled “VoiceThread Account Verification”.
This means you already had a VoiceThread account under your email address, and the system is now trying to connect that existing account with your D2L profile. You’ll only need to complete this step once. To proceed through this page:
- Click on the link that says “Set it here” to set a verification password for your account.
- Proceed through the steps to set a password. This will involve receiving an email from VoiceThread.
- Use that password you just set on the verification page.